Bolingbrook Police Department
Crime Prevention Unit
One of the more frequent crimes reported to the police department is burglary to a vehicle. Sometimes offenders enter a vehicle through an unlocked door or by breaking a window looking for valuables that are left in plain view. Some of the most popular items stolen are briefcases, cameras, cell phones, global positioning systems (GPS), I-Passes, I-Pods, purses, radar detectors, and wallets.
Here are some simple rules that can help deter and protect you from being a victim of this crime.
- When you park your vehicle at home or away, close your windows and lock doors, even if you’re going to be gone for a short time.
- Remove and secure all valuables, including garage door opens & electronic accessories (GPS window brackets & power cords).
- Always park in a well lighted
- If you have a garage, use it! If you have to park your vehicle in your driveway overnight, leave on exterior house lights. Good lighting is one of the most efficient & least expensive means of security.
- Notify the police department of any suspicious people or activities in your neighborhood.